Friday, December 26, 2008

Wait a minute, was that an option?

My inlaws came over (minus one sister in law and boyfriend- car issues) yesterday for dinner (that would be lunch for all you city folk) and we had a nice, fairly stressfree day. At least I think it was stressfree, I tend to be sort of oblivious to underlying tension if it doesn't directly involve me or scream in my face, so I think everything went okay....Anywhoo, I had been a little nervous for a number of reasons; our house is sort of small, I realized that I have never actually had Sgt. G's family over to our house (living out of state has it's perks), there are always ancient family issues just waiting to rear their ugly heads (someday I will have to tell you the story of the Red Potato Fight that I inadvertantly started a few years ago, and to this day I dare not mention red potatoes in mixed company) and the one Christmas that we hosted MY family for Christmas still makes Sgt. G and I shudder, just to name a few. So, as my mother-in-law is fussing around my kitchen (I am under no illusion that I am going to be part of the preparations here, I gave up my kitchen to her long ago) she makes the comment that she had thought about picking up some wine for dinner. Wait, What? We have never drank much around the inlaws, but since we have moved back, we have started. My brother-in-law and I had a very fun Labor Day this past summer, it was another tense weekend and he had a great time keeping hard lemonades in my hand. But, I don't think I have EVER seen Sgt. G's mom drink. I didn't even know it was an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment