Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Give me some Windex, and it all goes to Hell.

I like to clean. I admit it. I know that makes me a bit of a nut, and for those that have been to my house, you know how odd that is, since my house is rarely ever actually clean. I do like to do it. It feels great to get in all the little corners and crevices and get them all shiney...but I get a little obsessive and then I end up spending 20 minutes cleaning the exhaust fan with a Q-tip or something. So, I don't allow myself to go there very often. Its a dark place and I have a hard time coming back out into the light. There are way more important things to do in life, and I know it. Today started out innocent enough. I wanted to do laundry, wipe down the bathroom before the inlaws come tomorrow, and sweep the kitchen floor so I can mop it after the kids go to bed. Then I noticed that the sliding doors to the deck were covered with dog slobber and kid prints, so I dug out my window cleaner. This is where it all went downhill. When I got done with the windows, I decided to keep the cleaner out so I could clean all of my appliances with them. I started in the kitchen and had just gotten a nice streak free shine on the oven door when I realized that the cupboards looked a little dirty....so I did those. If the cupboards are dirty, the doorknobs must be too.... 30 minutes later I find myself ridding all the doorframes and lightswitches of fingerprints. Monkey wants to eat lunch. Since he should have eaten an hour ago, this is not an outrageous request, but Mommy can't right now, because she is Windexing all the doorknobs. Next I am going to pull all the light fixtures down and wash them. I know I shouldn't, but I can't get it out of my head now. After that I think I will get the pledge back out and clean the edges of the baseboards with some Q-tips. This would be a little funny if it weren't true. I am in too deep, and if I don't I know I will lay awake tonight worrying about the dirt caught between the keys on the computer keyboard. I better get the Lysol out too, it is germ season and I can't remember the last time I sanitized the phones....So, if you ever come to my house and look around and think "would it kill her to dust?" then answer is- it might. I know I am an addict and I would like some support while I try to quit. Also, cut Sgt. G some slack, he lives with this kind of crazy every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment